"A new national study, the largest of its kind, says America's high schools
are leaving the First Amendment behind."
- John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, 1/31/2005
How sure are you that your kids understand their constitutional rights and
how the Supreme Court affects them? A recent report by the John S. and James
L. Knight Foundation reveals that kids are weak when it comes to knowledge about
Check out these startling results from High-school student responses:
- 73 percent said they didn't know how they felt about the First Amendment
or took freedom of speech and the press for granted.
- More than a third (35 percent) thought that the First Amendment goes too
far in protecting rights.
- One in six students indicated that people shouldn't be allowed to express
- Only half said newspapers should be allowed to publish freely without government
approval of stories.
Take action now. Engage
your children, yourself, and your community in learning about our civil rights.
Civio™, a fascinating strategy card game, shows how civil rights challenges
become landmark Supreme Court decisions.