Quick Order by Product #
Check this out...
|Your cart is currently empty|
- New Products
- Activity and Coloring Books
- Animal Lovers
- Award Winners
- Better Living
- By Age Group
- Cards from Africa
- Climate Change / Global Warming
- Community Organizers
- Deals and Specials
- Environment / Ecology
- For Activists (AKA Community Organizers)
- For Parents and Children
- For Teachers
- Gender Equality
- Holiday and Greeting Cards
- Howard Zinn
- Hunger and Homelessness
- Make the World a Better Place
- Partners in Peacemaking
- Puzzles, Games and Toys
- Reach And Teach Publishing
- Service Learning
- Special Needs / Disabilities / Differently-Abled
- Woody Guthrie
- World Craft and Fair Trade Market
Tikkun Magazine Fall 2012 Issue
This is the Fall 2012 issue of Tikkun Magazine. The price includes shipping (you will not see a choice of shipping options when you check out if this is the only product you buy).
International Shipping: If you are outside of the United States, please use the pull-down menu and select International Shipping. It costs $6 more to ship the magazine internationally (we'll use First Class mail).
Volume 27, Issue 4
Letters to the Editor
Compassion for the Victims of Our Global Capitalist System: Liberating the Yearning for a Different World
Despite the despair generated by our money-dominated political system, most people still yearn for a world of love and generosity. A Left that articulated that yearning programmatically could still overcome the political, economic, and environmental mess we face.
A Red Letter Christian Speaks to the Palestinian Church
by TONY CAMPOLO
How can Palestinian Christians help heal divides between Jewish Israelis and Palestinian Muslims? A progressive Evangelical minister with vision speaks out.
Religion and Equality in Human Evolution
by ROBERT N. BELLAH
It’s not been a linear process, but some tendencies in religion have played an important role in increasing equality and respect for other humans. The path has sometimes been rocky. Bellah, one of America’s most respected authorities on religion, returns to Tikkun with new insights.
Sabbath Practice as Political Resistance: Building the Religious Counterculture
by ANA LEVY-LYONS
Surrendering to the joy of the Sabbath constitutes a radical act against the embezzlement of our precious time. Shabbat observance is revolutionary!
Special Section: Christianity Without the Cross?
- Introduction by MICHAEL LERNER
- The Death of Christianity by LAWRENCE SWAIM
- Christianity is buckling under the weight of the cross—a symbol that suggests violence can be redemptive. Must the crucifixion be at the center of Christianity? The Hope of the Cross by C. KAVIN ROWE
- The cross is not a glorification of violence. It calls us to hope for healing, even in the face of suffering. Getting rid of the cross would be tantamount to getting rid of Jesus. The Cross as a Central Christian Symbol of Injustice by ELISABETH SCHÜSSLER FIORENZA
- The doctrine of blood atonement has got to go. But we still need the cross as a reminder of imperial violence—it challenges us to protest injustice in our society today.
Special Section: America Beyond the 2012 Election
- Introduction by ALANA YU-LAN PRICE
- Why America Needs a Left by ELI ZARETSKY
- At pivotal moments in our history, a powerful Left has inspired lasting changes in consciousness. Obama in Question: A Progressive Critique and Defense by GARY DORRIEN
- Why is an outspoken progressive critic of Obama not disillusioned by the last four years? How might the promise of the 2008 election be redeemed? The Need for Progressive Realism by HEIDI HADSELL
- The impetus to confront corporate capitalism must come from a broad coalition of those who do the electing. What Comes Next for Spiritual Progressives? by STEPHEN H. PHELPS
- Deep down, humans know our purpose. We love to feel compassion. Now it’s time to agitate for budgets and policies that reflect our higher nature. Trickle-Up Democracy by DOUGLAS RUSHKOFF
- Can national politics really deliver the change we need? In this age of corporate-sponsored candidacies, let’s focus on local struggles. Be a Progressive Democrat! by MIMI KENNEDY
- Presidential elections decide war and peace. When the GOP plays on progressive angst, we mustn’t take the bait.
- Democratizing the Economy for a New Progressive Era by GAR ALPEROVITZ
- As stalemate deepens at the national level, we need a bottom-up strategy. Reclaiming the Radical Imagination: Reform Beyond Electoral Politics by HENRY A. GIROUX
- Electoral politics is rigged. Why not dismantle the system and construct a new political landscape? Why Progressives Should Follow Feminism’s Lead in 2012 by ALIX KATES SHULMAN
- Women’s rights are under attack. It’s time for all progressives to get involved in this election. Third-Party Politics: A Conversation Between Green Party Candidate Jill Stein and Michael Lerner by MICHAEL LERNER
- Is it risky for progressives to vote for the Green Party? How can third-party politics strengthen social movements?
In Death’s Dominion
Shadows in Winter: A Memoir of Love and Loss by Eitan Fishbane
Review by Sidra DeKoven Ezrahi
Black Liberation Theology and the Lynching of Jesus
The Cross and the Lynching Tree by James H. Cone
Review by Gary Dorrien
Above the Roofs of the Jewish Village
by Admiel Kosman, translated by Lisa Katz with Shlomit Naim Naor
- What Money Can’t Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets by Michael J. Sandel
- Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right by Thomas Frank
- Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy by Christopher Hayes
- 99 to 1: How Wealth Inequality Is Wrecking the World and What We Can Do About It by Chuck Collins
- Sailing in Kansas: An American Jewish Memoir by Kathy Green
- Abraham’s Children: Liberty and Tolerance in an Age of Religious Conflict edited by Kelly James Clark
- My Neighbor’s Faith: Stories of Interreligious Encounter, Growth, and Transformation by Jennifer Howe Peace, Or Rose, and Gregory Mobley
- A God in the House: Poets Talk About Faith edited by Ilya Kaminsky and Katherine Towler
- God of Love: A Guide to the Heart of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam by Mirabai Starr